6 Key Considerations for Selecting the Right Metal Roof
June 15, 2016
Selecting the right metal roof for your home can be a challenge. Once you’ve decided on metal for protecting your home, there are still many decisions ahead about which products will best meet the demands of our local climate, look great, and be the easiest to maintain.
Here are 6 Key considerations for your new metal roof:
- Industry-leading PVDF coating technology. Many people choose metal roofs in order to avoid the streaking and staining that attacks granulated-surface shingles. Kynar 500® and Hylar 5000® PVDF resin-based finishes offer the best resistance to streaking and staining. These finishes are available in many colors and even multi-hued shades, offering the best combination of durability and fade resistance.
- “Self-Cleaning” Valleys. Let’s face it, a lot of debris ends up on your roof; tree leaves, pine needles, seed pods, ice, and snow. They all travel down your roof and end up in any valleys the roof may have. Many metal roofs have “closed” valley systems with hidden waterways to channel water off of the roof. These hidden waterways, however, will clog up with debris and then the water path is blocked and bad things (leaks!) happen. “Self-Cleaning” valleys carry the water and debris on top of the roof and can’t clog.
- Premium Certified Products. The Metal Construction Association has developed a Quality Certification Program which recognizes products and manufacturers that meet high levels of standards in terms of raw materials and processes. We strongly encourage products and manufacturers that are part of this program. Kassel and Irons products all meet this certification.
- Special Flashings. Many roofs have areas which require special care, including special flashings. Unlike temporary roofing solutions, you can’t just depend upon sealants for metal roofing. If your roof has dead valleys, skylights, chimneys, flared gables, or other unusual things, make sure that you understand exactly how these will be handled by your contractor.
- Warranties. Be sure you understand the warranties, and where they come from. You should receive warranties covering the installation workmanship, the product, and also the integrity of the raw materials that go into the product.
- Ventilation. We find that most homes can benefit from increased attic ventilation. Good ventilation will keep your home cooler in the summer, and also help avoid ice dams while making sure your insulation is dry and performing well in the winter. It can also help avoid rot and mold In your home. Re-roofing is the perfect time to address your home’s ventilation. Professional roofing contractors will be able to review this with you as well.
We Are Here To Serve
We have the industry’s finest when it comes to folks who know and understand metal roofing and we’re here to serve you. Whether you’re considering a Kassel & Irons metal roof, or a roof from someone else, let us know how we can help. We are available to help you sort through all of the information and make the best choice for you and your home.
Kynar 500® is a registered trademark belonging to Arkema Inc.
Hylar 5000® is a registered trademark belonging to Solvay