A Green Home: 7 Anytime Ideas for Efficiency Upgrades
November 15, 2016
While we love to talk about the environmental benefits of our beautiful metal roofs, we also enjoy sharing other tips for making your home more energy efficient and “green”. Here are a few ideas you may want to consider for your home this fall.
- Have a home energy audit done by an independent third party who is not there to sell you something. Your electric or gas provider may even help cover the cost of a quality audit to see how your home can be made more energy efficient.
- Add insulation to your attic floor. This will keep your home warmer in winter, cooler in summer. An attic inspection may be just what’s needed to ensure the ongoing protection of your home, and all of the who’s and what’s that it contains.
- Light it up, responsibly. Energy efficient, long lasting lighting options for both indoors and out abound in today’s marketplaces. Buying the right fixtures, with the right controls and bulbs can save you time, energy and money. Then, do what Dad said, and “turn off the lights!” you’re not using.
- Watch the water. Install low-flow faucets, reduce your water heater temperature, wrap the water heater storage tank, and wash those clothes in cold water, whenever possible.
- Manage your home’s air quality by cleaning or changing furnace and a/c filters regularly. And while improving airflow, you will decrease energy usage.
- Manage your home’s temperature by installing a programmable thermostat.
- Purchase products that have recycled content. Recycling only works when we close the loop by purchasing recycled products. From flooring to roofing, sustainable products are available for home improvement.
Now is always a great time of year to refresh your home, prepare for the next season and re-commit to sustainability. What actions to can you take to save energy and promote the environmental health of your home? We can help.